Powered By Blogger

Twitter Feed

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Newegg.com - NETGEAR GS608 10/100/1000Mbps Switch 8 x RJ45 4K MAC Address Table 1MB Buffer Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - NETGEAR GS608 10/100/1000Mbps Switch 8 x RJ45 4K MAC Address Table 1MB Buffer Memory - Retail
Chris, would this device work for the following scenario:

I want to put my Netgear Wireless-G 4-port Router-Switch in my living room, to centralize the wireless signal in my house, as it gets pretty weak in my bedroom and living room. I'll move my cable modem to my living room too, and use a low loss 2GHz splitter ($20) to split to my DVR and Cable Modem.

From the cable modem, I'll connect it to the WAN input of the Wireless 4-port router-switch. I can plug in my Wii and XBOX directly to any two of the 4 ports. Then I have just one ethernet cable that runs from my living room to my den - My golden ticket.

With this cable, I'll connect to this 8-port gigabit switch in my Den. My PCs and other wired devices could then plug into this switch, giving me gigabit speeds between my collection of PCs (but not to the web or to my Xbox or Wii, which do not support it anyway).

Would this work??? My existing wireless router, which would be relocated to my living room, would act as my firewall. This new 8-port switch would have to be dumb and not conflict with the firewall in my Living Room.

Help!
DE

1 comment:

Chris said...

That would work perfectly well.. Since your internet connection and those game consoles won't get any benefit from Gig-E speeds, that is a good configuration..