OK, so over the weekend, I changed the locks of my house. A couple of reasons why. First, my garage door was broken and I was actually going in and out of the house through the front door more. Second, I needed to beef up the security of my door....more on that.
So what did I do? I went for full biometrics on my front door and door in the garage! Let me tell you, this system is great! Imagine not having to fumble for keys anymore, you swipe your finger and the door opens for you based on your fingerprint. It is very secure from what I have read, plus you can use a key as a backup. I changed three locks but have only one key for all three. The reason is because you can re-key all of the locks. BTW, the locks are Kwikset with the "Smartkey" function.
So the other reason? One word..."BUMPKEY". Yes, I reported about this threat earlier. Search on youtube, you will be shocked. Kwikset has bumpkey protection and seem to be the only people in Home Depot or Lowes that have it.
I added a metal door stiffener to deadbolt and also beefed up the metal latch that the deadbolt slides into. Its a $4.00 part at home depot for a part that has 4 screws. Look at your door, you will see that it has only TWO screws to hold the door in. Again, youtube searches will show how burgluries take place, by kicking in the door or using a crowbar. Those doors with two screws on the latch are easily kicked in.
I remember in back episodes of "It takes a thief" that you always want to lock the door leading to your garage as the garage door is pretty easy to break into. I also installed a deadbolt that locks on both sides for entrance into the backyard from my garage. That way if someone got into the garage, they can't get into the backyard without trying really hard before that trying to break through the sliding glass window in the backyard.
Anyway, nothing is foolproof, but slowing down the time for someone to break in can make a difference.

2 comments:
How much did the bio-locks cost and which ones did you use?
I found two on ebay for $110 each. They usually go for $200 each. The brand is Kwikset. I would trust them over any other brand mainly for the bumpkey protection, ansi grade 1 dead bolt and the quick re-keying system. The other thig I like is that lets say you have a house keeper, you can program her lock to work at a preset time, like 10am to 5 pm.
Post a Comment