So I found my solution to carrying two laptops with me on every trip. I bought an 8gb IronKey. Seriously, what do I use my personal computer for? -> Email, websurfing, skype, word documents, image editing, finance, password storage, multimedia. That's about it. With programs from portableapps.com, I can safely maintain my personal life on the road on any computer with a USB 2.0 port. Works on windows, mac and linux. I found programs that do everything I needed to do in the above requirements. Eventually, I may find a remote desktop software to access my files at home. But for now, gmail offers gigabytes of storage.
The best part?? Hardware encrypted web surfing to a secure TOR network at Ironkey. My ip address shows me in Poland, Germany, Canada, wherever in the world. That is then hidden through 7 layers of other ip addresses. On top of that, data from the Ironkey to the Ironkey service is hardware encrypted. Plus, all surfing activity is confined to the Ironkey. It makes the internet truly anonymous and leaves no trace of your surfing on your host computer.
Its also fast enough to not notice the difference in speed most of the time. I've tried the Tor network and privoxy software and it is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW...
So why did I get it? I read about a top level CEO for a network company (Cisco?? can't remember) that personally used it. I knew someone very close to me that recently lost their luggage. I would be devastated if I lost my laptop. I have financial information, addresses, emails and personal records that be compromised. If I get robbed or the ironkey is stolen, I have a secured backup at home and can put it on a new ironkey. Also, I can safely use the most unsecured public wifi networks out there for all web surfing without worrying about email/passwords being intercepted or even a list generated of the sites visited.
Anyway, my back will be thanking me for years to come with one less laptop!

1 comment:
Does this mean you are now ebaying the 8GB Corsair Survivor USB drive I bought you at my wedding??
So what if - just for the sake of asking IF - someone stole your Ironkey or you lost it? Does it explode when some foreign intruder tries to access your files?
Post a Comment