Powered By Blogger

Twitter Feed

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Linux Adventure Part 3

Chris, you would be proud. I am typing this message from my linux HP laptop. So far.....a success!!!!! Xubuntu seems workon this laptop. I even managed to get the wireless to work. I had to select the wireless connection and voila...it worked. The built in programs are pretty slick. Even with 256 megs on a Pentium 1ghz, its pretty fast. Extra memory would probably reduce the hardrive access.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm glad it's working well for you, Daus.. Very glad.. Right now, MS is about as close to bottom of my mud list as anyone could get.. I'm working on a friends computer and something tripped the activation.. The key on the bottom of the computer won't work and MS refuses to help.. They say it is the manufacturers problem and I have to call them.. Morons.. There are message threads all over the net covering how MS put out millions of bad keys, yet they won't help.. Jerks.. They wonder why people steal their software.. IT isn't because they don't want to pay, it's because the software sucks and isn't work paying for..

Unknown said...

I'm glad too that you found some success, Daus. Although I'm quite pessimistic on how long you'll continue to use that pig of a laptop no matter what OS is on it. But the fact that it worked does deserve a high-five, especially the WiFi!!

Chris, you continue to hate MS so much. Hate leads to fear... fear leads to anger... anger leads to the Dark Side (aka Apple!). Seriously, are you SURE that your friend here doesn't have an "adopted" copy of Vista or a shared copy? My personal experience with XP Professional has allowed me to install it about ten times across probably five different computers. An automated call to India always reactivated my key. I've installed my copies of Office multiple times too across my various incarnations of my desktops and laptops... if it's in my name, I've never had a problem. Never. Listen, I love Chrome, hate IE 8.0beta, and I think Vista is a beautiful pig of an OS, but in my opinion, their activation process is so lenient that it's too easy to scam. So if you're having a hassle now, I'd really like to know if this person is the original owner of the software, or was is passed down the line or bought on ebay. My 3 cents...

Unknown said...

Just noticed the key is on the "bottom of the PC" ... hmmm ... I'm off to bed, I retract my 3 cents to just 1 cent.