Powered By Blogger

Twitter Feed

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Linksys WGA54G - Wireless printing?

So I have this Linksys WGA54g that has been sitting around that was meant for the XBOX (Dan...my subscription expired on XBOX). Anyway, since all my friends have moved to the XBOX 360, I was thinking about using this to wirelessly attach a laser printer with an ethernet port to the network. Even though this is used for "gaming" purposes, do you think I could get this to attach to my home network? I don't see the difference between the WGA54G and Linksys WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge other than one is meant for "gaming". What do you think?

2 comments:

Chris said...

That would work pretty well.. That is basically a wireless bridge.. I've used those before and they tend to work well..

For the printer connection, the issue ends up being that printers with ethernet connections are typically very expensive. That is why most will look at one of the networked print servers first. That lets you keep the investment in the network device and change printers as you see fit. You don't necessarily want to be stuck with the same printer for a long time since they break a lot..

Just my $0.02.

Unknown said...

I disagree about the cost of wired networked printers. I bought my OfficeJet 7310 All-in-One (with 200 page paper feeder) for $199 over a year ago. Prices have come drastically down.

Daus, you post got me excited for a moment ... "since all my friends have moved to the XBOX 360 ..." I thought you were going to take the plunge and buy a 360!! It's the best media center device out there, in my humble opinion!