Powered By Blogger

Twitter Feed

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Top movies every guy should see at least once

Done! Just email to Djenet1.srcblog@blogger.com and it will blog automatically!

DE

___________________________________

From: Daus Studenberg

We should post this on the blog!
Hmmm... to add to the list..

Seriously stuff:

KOYAANISQATSI - The first film of the QATSI trilogy. The title is a Hopi Indian word meaning "life out of balance." Created between 1975 and 1982, the film is an apocalyptic vision of the collision of two different worlds -- urban life and technology versus the environment. The musical score was composed by Philip Glass. http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

Comedy:

Made

Grosse Point Blank

High Fidelity

Action:

Gladiator (Maximus!)

Ocean's 11

___________________________________

From: Dan Ehrlich

Guys, my neighbor Jamie sent this to me a few weeks back… he’s trying to create the definitive Guy Movies list. My thoughts are below – when you own as many DVDs as me, I know I forgot a few…. Read his list first, then come back to mine and then feel free to comment. Jamie, my brother-in-law Glenn is the AUTHORITY on movies, so whatever he says, goes for me, too. We both loved CLOVERFIELD, need I say more?!!! You should read his movie reviews – they are better than Roger Ebert. Well, that’s not saying much. Ebert’s top ten guy list would probably include The English Patient.

You definitely need Contact and Shawshank Redemption on there for me to approve! Aliens, Empire Strikes Back… do they get any better?? I loved Die Hard 4, nearly as much as 1. From your list below, I love (as you ordered them, so not my order though)… the following…

1, 2 (although “Myth Busters” on Discovery Channel proved the final scene with shooting the air tank would NOT blow up a White Shark, so that kinda kills it for me, too!), 4 (can’t wait for Indy 4 on May 22!), 5, 6, 8, 11 (Danny Glover!), 13, 14 (Goldeneye is my favorite Bond flick). Sorry, Russell Crowe would kick Mel Gibson’s ass (Gladiator vs Braveheart, are you crazy?!). Have you seen Cinderella Man (or the news)? Russell Crowe throws a mean punch.

From your Part 1, I also love Swingers and Goodfellas but hated Transformers. I love Casino, if you are a Goodfellas fan. Since I LOVE Vegas, Swingers, Casino, and Ocean’s 11 all make my list (the new movie “21” definitely does not). You would also LOVE The Departed, which I own if you want to borrow. On par with Goodfellas.

If this is the “definitive” guys list, you also need… in no particular order… just my random thoughts…

Top Gun, Gladiator, The Departed, Forrest Gump, Ocean’s 11 (remake), Office Space, The Game, Shawshank, American Pie, Back to the Future, Terminator 2, Predator 1, Boiler Room (if you like Swingers), Total Recall, The Rock (Nick Cage is THE MAN!), The Naked Gun, Austin Powers I, Star Trek II-IV, Star Wars II – VI, and perhaps even Cloverfield (awesome, from JJ Abrams), Spiderman I & II, X-Men I & II, and Batman Begins for something a bit more current. I loved Space Balls (Mel Brooks) over Blazing Saddles when I was younger… I still think the final scene with the alien is classic, but it would only make it on my Guy’s Comedy List for nostalgic reasons.

Chris, do you think “Kung Pow! Revenge of the Fist!” deserves a spot? Daus, how about Star Trek Generations (oh wait, you had to pee when the Enterprise-D crashed and then again when the planet exploded!) … that movie blew anyway, no worries. Poor Kirk.

Sandra, how many of these movies have I forced you to watch over the past eight years??? Too many? Before me, Sandra though Luke Skywalker was on board the Enterprise.

Glad to see Lord of the Rings missed your top ten, as did Harry Potter movies. Ugh. Not a fan of either sets of movies. I need to ebay my Lord of the Rings trilogy set… why did I waste $75 to watch Charlie from LOST?

If you like somewhat trippy movies, you’d like The Game, A.I., and Lost in Translation… all better with a glass of wine and some imagination and patience and friends. 12 Angry Men was required watching in a legal course I took at Rollins during my MBA… it was phenomenal. The remake is fine, but the 1957 will blow your mind.

OK, I will let my very opinionated friends, brother-in-law, and Sandra weigh in on this most important topic… Sandra has a say on this since my movie influence on her will bring an interesting insight into what a “Guy” movie should be!

DE

From: Jamie Beu
Subject: Re: Top movies every guy should see at least once

Part 2 - my top 20 "Guy Movies" of the last 40 years. (I'd like to hear your thoughts on my list, as well as what your list would be.)

  1. The Godfather (1972) -defining "guy" movie - the anthemic gangster movie
  2. Jaws (1975) -the epitome of the man vs. nature conflict
  3. Airplane! (1980) -king of all spoofs... every guy over the age of 30 should be able to quote 10 lines from this
  4. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) -started Indiana Jones and propelled Harrison Ford to superstardom. need we say more?
  5. Die Hard (1988) - action, explosions, mayhem, and one of the top 5 best movie villains ever: Hans Grüber.
  6. Empire Strikes Back (1980) -The best of the Star Wars series
  7. Blazing Saddles (1974) -Mel Brooks' funniest work
  8. Matrix, The (1999) - 8 years after T2, they finally made a movie to blow your mind and your sense of what movies can do
  9. The Blues Brothers (1980) -great music, amazing number of cameos, hilarious throughout, and they're on a mission from God
  10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) -guys will sit and recite lines from this for almost an hour
  11. The Untouchables (1987) -"They pull a knife, you pull a gun. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue."
  12. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) - a sport about degradation and humiliation (w/ Vince Vaughn & Ben Stiller)
  13. Aliens (1986) -more action than the original & ushered in the kick-butt female lead
  14. Casino Royale (2006) - best Bond movie since "Goldfinger" or "Dr. No"
  15. Fugitive, The (1993) - cat-and-mouse chase through Chicago where you're rooting for both sides
  16. Patton (1970) -Gotta have a movie about WWII
  17. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - IMHO, the best Tarrantino film (yes, better than "Pulp Fiction")
  18. Caddyshack (1980) -tremendous ensemble cast of misfits on a golf course. Ba-na-na-na-na-na.....
  19. Midnight Run (1988) - the ultimate "buddy, road-trip" movie
  20. Braveheart (1995) - kick-@ss battle scenes that "Gladiator" tried to match

So, any agreement? Any suggestions/oversights?
Ideally, I'd like to make up a complete set of movies that every guy should see/own, but I can't do it without feedback.

Have a good weekend - hope this makes for a fun activity.

Jamie

P.S. If you're really that curious, here's the list that started my rant: http://movies.popcrunch.com/50-movies-that-all-guys-should-see-before-they-die-a-modern-guide/

___________________________________

From: Jamie Beu
Subject: Top movies every guy should see at least once

Okay, last night I read an article I found on Digg called "50 Movies That All Guys Should See Before They Die" (a little over-the-top on the title, but you get the idea).
The problem is, it had a subtitle, "A Modern Guide", meaning that they only looked at movies made in the last 20 years. (This excludes, in my opinion, the greatest 10-year period of film making: 1972-1981.)

I'm not even providing the link, because the list sucked so bad (apparently, the author(s) have a man-crush on Guy Ritchie and Quentin Tarrantino). It does, however, present an interesting topic of conversation (at least, interesting to me):

  1. What would you say are the top 20 "Guy Movies" of the last 20 years?
  2. Same question, but expand the range to the last 40 years.

The movies can be action, comedy, horror, sci-fi, you-name-it.

For the last 20 years (from 1988 to 2008), my personal list goes as follows:

  1. Die Hard (1988) - action, explosions, mayhem, and one of the top 5 best movie villains ever: Hans Grüber.
  2. Matrix, The (1999) - 8 years after T2, they finally made a movie to blow your mind and your sense of what movies can do
  3. Fugitive, The (1993) - cat-and-mouse chase through Chicago where you're rooting for both sides
  4. Dumb & Dumber (1994) - buddy, road-trip movie... with morons
  5. Hunt for Red October, The (1990) - still the best Tom Clancy movie to date
  6. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) - a sport about degradation and humiliation (w/ Vince Vaughn & Ben Stiller)
  7. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - IMHO, the best Tarrantino film (yes, better than "Pulp Fiction")
  8. Serenity (2005) - what every "Star Wars" prequel *should* have been like
  9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - since no other "Indy" films fit the time frame
  10. Casino Royale (2006) - best Bond movie since "Goldfinger" or "Dr. No"
  11. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) - the start of Will Ferrell's box office dominance
  12. Braveheart (1995) - kick-@ss battle scenes that "Gladiator" tried to match
  13. Happy Gilmore (1996) - because Caddyshack isn't here
  14. Hot Shots! (1991) - it's "Top Gun" by the makers of "Airplane!"
  15. Midnight Run (1988) - the ultimate "buddy, road-trip" movie
  16. Swingers (1996) - guys in L.A. trying to score... definition of "guy" movie
  17. Goodfellas (1990) - because "The Godfather" movies (the good ones) didn't make the time frame
  18. Transformers (2007) - cars that becoming giant fighting robots... with a couple hot chicks thrown in for good measure
  19. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) - like "Wayne's World" or "Beavis & Butthead" but with time travel
  20. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - British braaaiiins....

Honorable mentions:

  1. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) - yeah, baby...
  2. Cars (2006) - the only Pixar film guys aren't embarrassed to admit they liked (although they really like all of them)
  3. Office Space (1999) - most quotable movie for anyone who works in a cubicle farm
  4. Scream (1996) - the first good horror film in a long time that didn't have Roman numerals after it
  5. Tombstone (1993) - the best Western (not the hotel chain)

I'll send my revised list for the last 40 years in a little while. In the meantime, I'm interested in hearing your top 10 or 20 "Guy movies".

1 comment:

Daus said...

Oh yeah, can't forget "The Hunt for Red October".